Saturday, September 24, 2011

I slipped on a rock, ummm yeah a rock. That's what I did.

Kids are funny. Sometimes the whole truth comes out, sometimes it takes a good 30 years. Last Saturday started out as a normal day, junior bowling league in the morning, little bit of shopping on the way home. Ate lunch, watched a little t.v., then time to play outside. I was crafting in my messy, basement corner. "Mom I'm going down to the creek to fish." 'O.k. Bud, be careful. Remember fish only where you're supposed to.' Oh a good 45 minutes went by. What happened next is like a blur, although it all occurred within seconds. Danny shows up at the basement door, screaming, soak & wet, pain written all over his face, screaming he has to go to the emergency room. I get him in the basement, over to the couch, grab a bag of frozen something from the freezer. Take his boot and sock off. Tiny bruise, little swelling. Nothing major. Wake up his dad, he looks at it. I want to take him to the ER, but his dad said no. "I'm sure he just sprained it. Let's give him a day."

I gave Danny Ibuprofen, we got him upstairs. After a while he was able to put some weight on it. He wanted to go to his Aunt's house for the family campfire. I wrapped it in an ace and off we went at 7:30. The next day was hit or miss so to speak. At times it hurt really bad, other times not at all. His dad said to me, "And you wanted to take him to the ER? He's tough, he's fine." Until 10:30 that night. Danny was in bed, I heard him stirring, then the screaming and crying began. He couldn't walk. I called his dad at work and said we are off to the ER. The ER doc looked at the X-rays, circled a "suspicious" area on his foot and said we need to go to the orthopedic doc the next day. The girls came in to put a semi hard cast on Danny's foot/leg. I watched them do it. While Danny and I were waiting for the cast to harden, Danny gets a funny look on his face and asks me why they put the cast on his wrong leg????? OMG! They put the cast on the wrong leg! I run down the hall to find them, told them and they laughed hysterically. I didn't find any humor in it at all. We were told at the doctor's office on Monday that Danny broke his Metatarsal Bone. We are trying to avoid surgery. We have another x-ray coming up on Wednesday. Our goal for 1-1/2 weeks is to do everything exactly how the doctor says. If the x-ray shows the tendons have shifted, the bone will not be perfectly lined up and we are going to have to have surgery. I am hoping the tendons haven't moved.
One thing that I have learned from this is just exactly how independent my 10 year was. Now that the crutches have been thrown into play and he isn't as mobile, I am doing everything for him. It makes me happy and sad all at the same time. Happy to know my 10 year is pretty independent, that he can do things for himself. Sad because he is no longer my baby and doesn't need me as much.
As for now, we have pieces of the puzzle, but haven't been able to put them in place. We do know Danny wasn't fishing. Lumber, a fallen down tree, a somewhat built bridge and the creek are the pieces. In time we'll know....I'm 43 years old, my brother 48 and my sister 50, my mom is still finding out about things we did growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment